SGBC announces new president & board for 2021–2023 term
Singapore, 30 March 2021 — The Singapore Green Building Council (SGBC) has announced the members of the 7th Board, who will lead the Council through the 2021–2023 term.
Tang Kok Thye, President
Tang Kok Thye succeeds Dr Ho Nyok Yong as SGBC’s 7th President. Tang is an associate partner of architecture practice ADDP Architects LLP and a veteran Green building professional. He brings with him a wealth of industry experience from his various appointments, including as a board member of the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) and Co-Chair of BCA’s Green Built-Environment Advisory Committee (GBAC).
Sharing about his new role, Tang commented, “I am deeply honoured to take on the role as President of the Singapore Green Building Council and build on the good work of the past six presidents who have led the Council to its present success. With the slew of national sustainability efforts announced in March 2021, the very concepts of Green building and sustainability are rising to the forefront of social consciousness. SGBC is poised to support the Singapore Green Building Masterplan and the Singapore Green Plan 2030. SGBC’s suite of current and developing programmes are all set to help the industry achieve the SGBMP’s 80-80-80 in 2030 goals.
“In the coming months, SGBC will launch carbon-centric programmes to help support the industry’s paradigm shift towards low-carbon. SGBC will also roll out a public engagement campaign to further engage end-users and consumers on how going green can contribute to not only utilities savings but also include health and wellness gains. I look forward to working closely with SGBC members and my fellow eminent and experienced board members to advance green buildings and Singapore’s national agenda on sustainable development.” he added.
Tang is a certified SGBC Green Mark Accredited Professional (SGBC-GMAP). He has completed numerous Green Mark projects, including eight that are certified with the Green Mark Platinum rating. One of these projects, the Tree House condominium in Bukit Timah, holds the Guinness World Record as the world’s largest vertical garden. In 2012, Tang was named Green Architect of the Year under the BCA-SGBC Green Building Individual Awards, jointly conferred by BCA and SGBC. In 2014, he designed the first residential project in Singapore using Pre-Finished Pre-Cast Volumetric Construction (PPVC) to improve the productivity of the building and construction sector.
READ MORE: Push for Greener buildings and new support scheme through industry alliances
Dr Ho (representing Singapore Contractors Association Limited) will assume the role of Immediate Past President of the new Board, having served as president from 2019–2021. Under his leadership, SGBC celebrated several major milestones and achievements, including the joyous commemoration of the Council’s 10th anniversary, the review of the Singapore Green Building Masterplan as well as the successful digitalisation of SGBC’s operations to advance Green building even during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The newly elected SGBC Board is reflective of the diverse nature of the Council and is representative of the built environment value chain. The Board composition includes representatives from Singapore’s leading property developers, professional consulting firms, contractors, institutional bodies, the academia and government agencies.
Full list of the SGBC Board (2021–2023):
- President: Tang Kok Thye (ADDP Architects)
- Immediate Past President: Dr Ho Nyok Yong (Singapore Contractors Association Limited)
- 1st Vice President: Lee Ang Seng (Beca Carter Hollings & Ferner (S.E.Asia) Pte Ltd)
- 2nd Vice President: Lynette Leong (CapitaLand Group)
- Treasurer: Ang Kian Seng (Building and Construction Authority)
- Assistant Treasurer: Tan Kuang Liang, Allen (Keppel Land Limited)
- Board Secretary: Calvin Chung (JTC Corporation)
- Assistant Board Secretary: Owen Wee (Surbana Jurong)
- Board Technical Coordinator: Allen Ang (City Developments Limited)
- Board Member: Tan Sze Tiong (Housing & Development Board)
- Board Member: Yann Grynberg (Nanyang Technological University)
- Board Member: Suresh Kulaveerasingham (National Environment Agency)
- Board Member: A/Prof Tham Kwok Wai (National University of Singapore)
- Board Member: Benson Wee (ONG&ONG Pte Ltd)
- Board Member: Tan Szue Hann (Singapore Institute of Architects)
- Board Member: Ler Seng Ann (Urban Redevelopment Authority)
Previously Published News
Entry deadline extended for World...
GLOBAL – 22 MAY 2023 – [MEDIA PARTNER] The World Architecture Festival (WAF) and its sister awards programme, the Inside World Festival of Interiors (Inside) has extended the deadline for...